Society for Pediatric Anesthesia Awards Two Young Investigator Research Grants
By Charles Berde, MD, PhD
Boston Children’s Hospital
In December 2017, SPA Young Investigator Research grants were awarded to two promising physician scientists.
Dr. Cornelius Groenewald from Seattle Children’s Hospital and University of Washington was chosen for his proposal, “Associations between opioid prescribing and opioid poisonings among children and adolescents in the USA”.
Dr. Philip Adams from Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh was chosen for his proposal, “Investigating the significance of perturbations in nitric oxide (NO) levels and perioperative adverse respiratory events”.
Each investigator will receive $50,000 for their one-year starter grant. Dr. Groenewald’s and Dr. Adams’ proposals were selected following committee review of 15 short proposals in a first round and six proposals in a second round.
This is the third annual award cycle for the SPA Young Investigator Research grants. At the SPA-AAP Pediatric Anesthesiology 2018 meeting in Phoenix, Dr. Michael Montana and Dr. James O’Leary, recipients for 2016-17, will give presentations on their research.
Updated information for applicants for the 2018-19 grant cycle will be made available in the coming months on the SPA website.
Thanks to Kim Battle, Associate Manager, SPA, for coordinating all aspects of the review process. Thanks also to the members of the review committee for thoughtful review of the proposals. We regard this review process as an opportunity to provide constructive mentorship to all 15 of the applicants for their ongoing research.
- Charles Berdé, MD, PhD, Chair (Boston Children’s Hospital)
- Ira Todd Cohen, MD, MEd, FAAP (Children’s National Health System)
- Jennifer K. Lee, MD (Johns Hopkins University)
- Richard J. Levy, MD, FAAP (Columbia University)
- Jason Maynes, MD PhD (University of Toronto, Hospital for Sick Children)
- Anna Varughese, MD, MPH (Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center)
- Scott C. Watkins, MD (Vanderbilt University)
- Samuel D. Yanofsky, MD, MSEd (University of Southern California, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles)